Now that the weekend is almost here, you must be looking forward to spending some time with your family and loved ones. You could be heading to a lounge or a restaurant to have some ‘we time’ or better still you could make some nourishing dishes at home and indulge in the goodness of the ingredients, for instance, almonds. Here are a few easy recipes made with the delicious nut.
Almond and Chicken Momo
- Chicken minced...250gm
- Garlic, chopped...1 tbsp
- Carrots, finely chopped...3 tbsp
- Spring onions, finely chopped...3 tbsp
- Ginger, finely chopped...1 tbsp
- Soy sauce...1 tbsp
- Oyster sauce...1 tbsp
- Sesame oil...1 tsp
- Pepper powder...1 tsp
- Almonds, blanched and chopped...½ cup
- Oil for greasing
- Place the minced chicken in a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients except almonds and divide the mixture into equal-sized balls.
- Roll these balls in the blanched and chopped almonds, and carefully place these small balls on a greased plate.
- Get the steamer ready and steam these on high heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve the Momos hot.
(Recipe by Kunal Kapur, MasterChef India judge)
Chocolate and Almond Rum Ball
- Chocolate sponge eggless cake... 250 gm
- Dark chocolate (55 - 70 per cent).. .100 gm
- Single cream (20-25 per cent fat)... 150 ml
- Almonds... 100 gm
- Castor sugar... 100 gm
- Instant coffee powder...10 gm
- Dark rum... 15 ml
- Heat cream in a pan, bring it to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add the chocolate and keep aside till slightly cool and then mix well.
- Toast the almonds in the oven at 180 degree Celsius for 8-10 mins. Roughly chop the almonds.
- Heat castor sugar in a pan and caramelise, add the roughly chopped almonds and remove the nougat on to a parchment paper. Crush the nougat with a rolling pin till slightly coarse.
- In a mixing bowl, crumb the chocolate sponge cake till breadcrumb consistency, add half the chocolate ganache, instant coffee powder dissolved in a teaspoon of water, rum, and mix with hands till the mixture is even in consistency.
- Now add 2/3 of the crushed almond nougat into the mix and form into small round balls (35-40 gm) and refrigerate.
- Once slightly set, coat the rum balls with the remaining chocolate ganache.
- Garnish with almond nougat and serve.
Almond Strawberry Cream
- Almonds...½ cup
- Strawberry (fresh)...12-14 pcs
- Whipped cream...1 cup
- Holy basil leaves (tulsi)...1 tsp
- Sugar, powdered...3 tbsp
- Toast the almond flakes in the oven at 180°C for 4 minutes.
- Cut the strawberries into 1 cm dices.
- Whip the cream along with sugar. Do not over whip it or the butter will separate.
- Mix the almond flakes and strawberries into the cream along with hand torn holy basil.
- Garnish with almonds and sliced strawberries.
(Recipes by celebrity chef Manish Mehrotra)